Thursday, October 24, 2013

Ate, Drank and Stank

Up until this fall, I'd never been to the Easton Farmers Market. Parking in the downtown area is not always readily available. It took getting a friend who lives in Easton to guide me before I was finally able to enjoy the outdoor market that boasts being America's "Longest Continuous Running Open-Air Market." Not surprising, given that the market was established in 1752, the same year the city of Easton was founded.

Pictured: balloons at entrance to Garlic Festival

My introduction to the market was at the 2013 Garlic Festival, held this year on October 5-6. The market was filled with the smell and taste of garlic in so many different products, it was difficult choosing which ones to try. I attempted to be adventurous and sampled garlic shortbread cookies, roasted garlic dipped in chocolate, garlic nut tossie, garlic and sugar coated popcorn, garlic lolipops and garlic ice cream.

Pictured: garlic lolipops

I couldn't pass up a garlic filled lunch from Cook's Corner. A small cup of garlic chowder paired perfectly with a garlic kielbasa and sauerkraut sandwich. Sharing (with my husband and friend) an order of pierogies cooked in butter, with onions and fresh garlic, topped off the hearty meal.

Pictured: pierogies with garlic, garlic chowder, garlic kielbasa with sauerkraut

In addition to all of the garlic related products, the farmers market also featured fresh produce from local farms, cooking demonstrations and live musical entertainment. I'm already looking forward to eating, drinking and stinking again at the Garlic Festival in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...