Sunday, October 27, 2013

An Apple a Day...

My second visit to the Easton Farmers Market happened on Saturday, October 12. That was the date of the Apple Jam, another popular themed celebration I discovered on their calendar of events. Being an apple fan, I was excited to sample various types of apple desserts.



Ironically, I didn't actually sample the desserts nor attend the pie eating contest. I would have, but maybe we were there too early and nothing was set up yet. It was too bad since the desserts on display looked delicious. Instead, I found myself at a long table filled with plates of apples sliced for sampling. For a $1 donation, festival attendees could try 25 different varieties of apples.


All of the apples on the sampling table were also being sold at the Apple Jam. I discovered that I actually have a new favorite apple: the humble winesap. It's not a pretty looking apple, but it's firm (my biggest requirement in an apple) and it has a tart taste that's a welcome change from my other favorites, the honeycrisp and suncrisp.


In addition to the apples (suncrisp and winesap) I purchased, I also bought an apple scone from one of the vendors, and satisfied my immediate hunger for something containing apples by eating the best apple fritters I've ever had. Instead of a doughnut, these apple fritters were the sweet version of an onion ring, dusted with powdered sugar.


Entertainment at the Apple Jam was provided by a band, but I was more interested in seeing the old fashioned apple cider press. It's always nice when local celebrations remind us how things used to be done. It was as just fascinating as the Moravian cooking demonstration at Burnside Plantation's Blueberry Festival.

There's one more special event at the Farmers Market for this year: Baconfest, on November 9. It's hard to resist the lure of bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...