Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mitsuwa Marketplace, Edgewater NJ

One of my favorite supermarkets is a specialty market located in Edgewater, NJ. The store is Mitsuwa Marketplace, the largest Japanese supermarket in the United States. Because the drive there takes about an hour and a half, my husband and I don't go to Mitsuwa more than three or four times during the year, but it's worth it for the huge variety of Japanese food and kitchen items that the store sells.

Pictured: exterior of the supermarket

Pictured: pocky aisle

Pictured: candy aisle

Pictured: our grocery cart

Pictured: sake aisle

Pictured: gourmet sweets

Our typical shopping order includes a few frozen items (potstickers, fried rice, shrimp shumai), fresh sushi, tea, Japanese beer and lots of sweets. My favorite item is green tea cookies. They aren't super sweet, and having two cookies for 90 calories satisfies me without breaking my calorie budget.

We combine our visits to Mitsuwa with a trip to Trader Joe's, which is located nearby. Unfortunately, Bethlehem has yet to get its own Trader Joe's, but I keep hoping it'll happen someday. Until then, I'm going to enjoy being close enough to these specialty stores that I can visit them occasionally. I may actually appreciate them more because I can't go to them that often.

6 comments:

  1. ...there is a supermarket with an aisle just for pocky??? this is amazing. this is life-changing. someday I must visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aisles run the length of the store, but each is broken into three separate areas within the long aisle. The pocky is in the middle area of one aisle. It's still four shelves of pocky (and pretz), which is quite a lot. I'm not used to so many varieties. :-)

    I should have added that the 'candy aisle' is actually just the chocolate bar display at the end of an aisle. There are a couple aisles of different candies (gum, gummy candies, hard candies, etc), as well as cookies and crackers.

    The picture of the sake aisle gives a good view of how big each section of an aisle is at Mitsuwa. That's one side of the aisle. The other side is also alcohol, and there's a beer aisle on the other side of that (opposite one row of frozen goods).

    It's heaven for anyone looking for Japanese food. I'd love to show it to you and Ducky someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =) I have every intention of making it out there to visit you at least every once in a while after we've moved. We'll be much closer to you then! I'd love to get a tour of all the awesome places to find cool food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can count on that, Rue! It'll be a pleasure to show you both around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so miss Trader Joe's. Would give anything to have one down this way. Mitsuwa looks marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we had a Trader Joe's (and a Whole Foods) much closer to us, Laura. We have to drive at least an hour to get to the closest one. At least we have Wegmans. That store has a lot of organic food choices.

    Mitsuwa is such a fun place to visit. I don't know what most of the items are in that store. I can't read Japanese, so I depend on the pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...