Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Kilt and a Cuppa

After having lunch with friends at Jumbars on Wednesday, I made a suggestion that we go to downtown Bethlehem to McCarthy's Tea Room, the restaurant on the top floor of Donegal Square, the shop for Celtic goods on Main Street. I'd been there once before, but hadn't been back for quite a few years.

McCarthy's is about more than just tea. They serve breakfast and lunch along with tea and a wide selection of delicious baked goods. Since we just had lunch, the four of us decided it would be best to split a dessert to have with our tea. Not being a tea drinker, I had coffee with my slice of Banoffee, a tart shell filled with dulce de leche, bananas and coffee flavored whipped cream.

Pictured: tables and performance area in restaurant

Pictured: selection of teas

Pictured: various baked goods including scones

Pictured: Banoffee

Pictured: 1/4 slice of Banoffee

The whole experience was wonderful. It was an off hour, so the tea room wasn't very crowded. One of the owners of the restaurant spoke with us about the place. She was very friendly and made the experience of being at the restaurant even nicer.

I'm looking forward to going back to McCarthy's Tea Room, hopefully for lunch or breakfast. It's great to have another restaurant in the Lehigh Valley that serves Celtic inspired dishes.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping in - we always appreciate it when people "get" what we are doing. It is sometimes hard to stay true to being as authentic as possible - when so many people are looking for the average meal. We look forward to having you back!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be back! My friends and I had a wonderful time. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. I hope more people in the Lehigh Valley will learn to appreciate the variety of cuisines we have available to us.

    Thanks for making downtown Bethlehem such a lovely place to visit. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...