Thursday, October 13, 2011

Recipe: Pollo in Potacchio

I'm a big fan of Gina's website, skinnytaste.com. I'm also a big fan of crock pot cooking. When I saw Gina giving instructions for making Pollo in Potacchio (braised chicken with rosemary, garlic and tomato sauce) in a crock pot, I had to try it. The recipe can be found here.


The ingredients were all pretty much things that I keep on hand. My husband graciously agreed to sharing a little of his white wine with me. I don't usually cook with wine, but this recipe called for a very small amount of it. One thing I did goof up was that I used diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes. I didn't notice my mistake until it was too late, so I had to add a small can of tomato paste to thicken the sauce.


Braising the chicken was a little messy, but I'm sure it added to the flavor of the meat. Because I had so much chicken, I had to braise the meat in two batches. I didn't worry about not getting rid of all the pinkness because I knew the meat would be cooking in the crock pot for a long time.


The carrots, celery, onions and garlic smelled good when they were cooking. If I make this meal again, I'll probably add more of the vegetables.


At this point of the cooking process, the chicken was still on the bone. I set the heat on low and cooked the chicken for about eight hours. On the advice of a friend, I used a crock pot liner to help with the cleanup after everything was cooked. It was a wise decision. I also think adding diced tomatoes was a good idea, since it meant my sauce had big chunks of tomato.


The chicken turned out so tender that it fell completely off the bone. I think I'd have preferred the chicken to keep its shape while still being tender, so next time I'll try making it in a large pot. The taste was fantastic, as was the smell of the house. There's something very comforting about food cooked in tomato sauce.

Because of some of my substitutions, I'm sure the calorie count is a little higher per serving than the 123 calories listed in the original recipe, but probably not by much. It will make a great meal served over rice with a side of vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...