Monday, October 24, 2011

Ithaca NY, Day 2: Tim Hortons and Ithaca Farmers Market

On my second day in Ithaca, my best friend introduced me to the wonderful place named Tim Hortons. I'm no stranger to Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks, but this was my first time visiting a 'Timmies.' There are no Tim Hortons locations in eastern Pennsylvania. I always think of them as being a Canadian coffee shop.




My best friend had coffee and a caramel apple danish. I had a pumpkin spice latte made with sugar free syrup and skim milk. I also had two small pumpkin flavored mini donuts (called 'Timbits'). It won't make me forget Starbucks, but it did taste very good.

After breakfast and checkout at the hotel, we made our way to the Ithaca Farmers Market. Unlike my local farmers market, this one had permanent stalls for the vendors. There was also a much larger selection of foods, baked goods, wine, pottery, jewelry and cooked foods ready to eat.





My absolute favorite thing at the farmers market had to be the popping corn shaped into a hand. Ithaca is part of the Finger Lakes region, so it was very appropriate!

3 comments:

  1. Your latte choice at Tim Hortons is amazing, I would have a hard time with choosing healthier options, but you did great! I've never heard of pumpkin spiced latte though. :D

    And I love farmer markets, because you can often buy cheaper things there, plus most of them are really friendly and nice and makes shopping easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Tim Hortons. Definitely none down south that I know of, but the name rings a bell. Wasn't Tim Horton a hockey player back in the Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe days? (I grew up going to all of the Houston Aeros games back in the '70s.)

    I am likewise impressed with the healthy coffee drink choice. I always end up getting black coffee which is so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were right about hockey player Tim Horton, arulba! He was the co-founder of the chain. Sadly, he died in a car accident in 1974. It was his partner who made the chain into the huge company it is today.

    I've been getting my lattes made with skim milk and sugar free syrups for a couple years now. I don't miss the extra fat and calories.

    Farmers markets are a lot of fun. I like being able to buy local produce. I've read that buying local is just as important as buying organic.

    ReplyDelete

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...