Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ithaca NY, Day 2: Iron Kettle Farm

The rest of the time I spent in New York with my best friend was at Iron Kettle Farm, in Candor. The place was a combination of country store, farmers market and petting zoo, with food vendors selling fair food along with seasonal specialty items such as cider donuts.




The farm was decorated for Halloween, with pumpkins dressed as people in various scenes. We saw pumpkin displays for Disney's Aladdin, Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz, in addition to pumpkins dressed for a wedding and one particularly amusing situation.


Not all of the pumpkins were decorated. There was a large selection of pumpkins available for purchase. There's something about this large field of pumpkins that appeals to me. I'm not sure if it's the color, or the fact that so many pumpkins were in one place.


The highlight of the trip for me was the farmers market. A large part of the market was dedicated to selling different varieties of apples. I bought Idared, Cortland, Macoun and Jonagold. I don't think any will replace Honeycrisp as my favorite, but it's been a pleasure tasting the subtle differences between varieties.


I had a wonderful time on the trip, and I hope to go back again sometime in the future, perhaps with my husband this time. The Finger Lakes area is beautiful, at every time of year.

My complete collection of photographs from this trip can be found at my website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...