Sunday, July 22, 2012

2012 Burnside Plantation Blueberry Festival

One of my favorite local events to attend is the annual Burnside Plantation Blueberry Festival. I love blueberries, plus I like supporting an historical site in the Lehigh Valley. It's also fun going there to remind myself of the happy years I spent working at Martin Tower, which is now used as a parking area for visitors to the festival.

There seemed to be more Moravian-inspired demonstrations at the 2012 festival. My husband and I saw women cooking, a man making beer and a blacksmith. It's possible that we just missed them in previous years. We also happened to be at the festival when a group of young Irish dancers were performing.

Pictured: Moravian women cooking

Pictured: Moravian beer maker

Pictured: fresh local produce for sale

Pictured: mosaic artist

Pictured: concession stand

Besides walking around and looking at the various crafts, we bought a few blueberry pastries and enjoyed cold smoothies, which were a welcomed treat on the hot day. My favorite pastry was a soft pretzel from Stations Cafe that had blueberries baked into the dough. It was a yummy treat that wasn't super sweet.

Congratulations to the people at Burnside Plantation who made this festival possible. It was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I hope to see even more crafters and local produce sellers there next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...