Monday, November 7, 2011

Restaurant Favorites: Panera Pick 2

Panera Bread is a good restaurant choice when you're watching calories. They have several soups that contain approximately 110 calories per one cup serving. The half salads range from 80 to 260 calories, and half sandwiches from 220 to 480 calories. I like the Pick 2 option, where I can combine any two of those three.

Pictured: 1/2 smoked turkey breast sandwich on country bread and garden vegetable with pesto soup

Today I had the soup and sandwich combination. I love the garden vegetable with pesto soup. That little bit of pesto adds a lot of flavor. I had my 1/2 sandwich made with mustard only. I also didn't have the side item that came with the dish. I'd already had an apple in the morning, and I didn't need chips or more bread.

According to the information on Panera's site, my meal was approximately 330 very delicious calories. Because it was so reasonable, I went to Starbucks after lunch and treated myself to a caramel macchiato made with skim milk and sugar free flavorings. A little bit of planning helped me keep well within my calorie goal for the day.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen the garden vegetable soup at our Panera. I'll have to ask about it, next time. Do you know if it is vegetarian? The only reason I usually don't go to Panera is because they don't have a lot of fish or vegetarian options. They used to have a salmon salad, but they quit carrying it last year, and I don't like their bean soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I think the soup counts as vegetarian, but not vegan. It has some cheese in it. Here are the ingredients according to their site:

    water, tomatoes, yellow wax beans, zucchini, onions, barley [may contain wheat], cauliflower, red bell pepper, Swiss chard, seasoning [modified corn starch, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, natural flavors], tomato concentrate [roasted tomatoes and tomato paste, salt, sugar, natural flavoring, and cilantro], tomato paste, basil), basil pesto (basil, canola oil, water, romano cheese [pasteurized cow's milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, powdered cellulose], extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, salt.

    I often get soup and garden salad. They do have a vegetable sandwich and a panini with tomatoes and mozzarella. They wouldn't work for a vegan, but when I was a vegetarian I would have eaten them. (I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for a couple years when I was on Weight Watchers.)

    ReplyDelete

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...