Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hungarian Nights at Starters Riverport

Starters Riverport, one of our restaurants in South Bethlehem, recently featured a specialty menu on Wednesday nights in October. Having some Slovak ancestry on mother's side, I felt compelled to sample some of the foods that were on the menu, since they were a little familiar to me. Here are a few pictures from when Jay and I attended 'Hungarian Night' at Starters.


That's the specialty menu. There were four entrees and an assortment of desserts.

Pictured: chicken paprikash

Pictured: stuffed peppers

I had chicken paprikash and Jay had stuffed peppers. I was tempted by the beef goulash, but figured the chicken might be slightly less fattening. I did sample Jay's meal, and it was good, but mine wasn't something I'd typically make at home.

The best part of the meal was knowing that some of the proceeds helped the South Bethlehem Historical Society. I hope Starters continues to do these specialty nights. I'd love to sample some other ethnic cuisines.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that paprikish looks delicious. I've never heard of the dish before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some interesting looking food. The stuffed peppers are absolutely beautiful!!

    Is South Bethlehem near Bethlehem? My grandmother had a lot of family in Bethlehem. One of my great, great, great (I'm not sure how many greats) grandfather's helped found one of the first Moravian churches there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rue, it tasted very good! It was white meat chicken in a sour cream sauce, with small dumplings. Very tasty. I can't recall my mom ever making it, even though it's pretty simple. It must be more Hungarian than Slovak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, the stuffed peppers were huge! I had a bite and they tasted very good, too. We both got two meals out of the food we ordered.

    South Bethlehem just means the south side of the city. Everyone refers to it like it's a separate city, but it's actually the original part of Bethlehem. It's where Bethlehem Steel was located. (I live in Bethlehem Township, which has a Bethlehem address, but everyone refers to it as the township in conversation.)

    That's so cool that you had family here! It's funny that we could find a connection like that. It really is a small world. :-)

    ReplyDelete

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...