Sunday, November 20, 2011

Christkindlmarkt, Bethlehem PA

I went to Christkindlmarkt in Bethlehem for the first and only time a few years ago with my best friend. Unfortunately, it was held in an area that was prone to flooding from the nearby Monacacy Creek. When we were there, everything was damp and cold, and very dark inside the tents. I didn't feel at all inspired to return.

This year, the market was moved to the ArtsQuest campus, so Jay and I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad we did. Everything was better! The inside of the tents was warm, clean and well lit, and having a big inside area for eating and entertainment made it much more welcoming.

Pictured: outside of the tents

Pictured: decorated aisle within vendor tent

Pictured: vendor selling official Christmas City goods

Pictured: pastries for sale

Pictured: food vendors

Pictured: krainerwurst sandwich, German potato salad, sauerkraut

Pictured: performance by the Paula Scott Duo

Jay and I spent a couple hours at Christkindlmarkt. We walked through the two tents, ate lunch while listening to the Paula Scott Duo perform, walked outside to see the ice sculpting and glassblowing and finished up by buying a few items from various crafters. We now have an edible birdhouse, pumpkin bread, a small blueberry pie and a box of mulling spices.

It's beginning to feel a lot more like Christmas now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...