Thursday, November 10, 2011

Robata of Tokyo, Allentown PA

I'm not a fan of sushi, but my husband is. Last Christmas, his sister and family gave us a gift certificate for Robata of Tokyo, a Japanese restaurant in Allentown that has a good online reputation for their sushi. We realized the certificate was going to expire today, so we went there for supper with a friend.


I'm not sure what was in that bowl, but the sushi chef sent one to each of us at our table. Jay and our friend both ate theirs and mine. Apparently, it was very good.


I didn't want a super big meal, since I was eating later than usual, so I ordered two appetizers. The first was pork gyoza. I've had pork dumplings before, but these were easily the best I've ever tasted. They were very crispy, which adds more calories, but also more taste compared to the gyoza I usually find at buffets.


My second appetizer was chicken and vegetable tempura. This was another good tasting dish, but it was on par with tempura I've had elsewhere. I try not to eat fried foods often, but tempura batter is so light that I don't feel weighed down when I eat it.

According to my husband, the sushi was excellent. It was a much better grade of fish than what he usually gets at our favorite Japanese buffet. The meal was expensive, but he felt it was worth it. I don't want to think about the number of calories I ate. I just know that I wouldn't mind going back again sometime.

2 comments:

  1. The appetizer you skipped has crabstick, cucumber slices, radish strips (I think), and that brown item could be a toasted scallop (looks the right shape and size). Looks yummy!

    I love Japanese food. Well...I love food in general; but Asian food is lighter on my tummy as a rule. *grin* Am so glad I found this blog, am getting all sorts of cooking inspirations from it!

    (cindyg aka starshadow rivaulx)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for identifying all of that, Cindy! I know Jay mentioned what some of it was, but since they're all items I don't eat, I completely forgot what he said. I'm a fairly picky eater.

    I'm glad you're getting some cooking ideas! I have a fun time posting pictures of foods from the restaurants we go to. The nicest part of doing that is it makes me want to try places we don't normally go to.

    ReplyDelete

30 Days is Now 60 Days

I'm still eating mostly grain-free. In the past two months, I've cut out most grain (except the occasional wheat tortilla for work l...